02 June 2009

Okay I was wrong...

But at least I'm not too proud to admit it.


Traveling is fantastic. Central America was amazing. I mean, I really should have known. At every moment in my life that I've been most terrified to do something that something has turned out to be one of the highlight experiences of my life.

I can now say from experience:
  1. Not all volcanos pour lava. Sometimes molten rocks tumble down the sides like confetti with a dull hollow thumping that even miles away sounds ominous.
  2. I am the best Shithead player I know. I'm also not bad at Bullshit, Gin Rummy and HorseRace. I still can't play poker to save my life.
  3. Dancing till dawn is good for the soul.
  4. I don't care what anyone's book says - EVOLUTION rocks, and we did it too. The determining factor: I fed a monkey. I literally looked eye to eye with a little humanoid as it reached out two tiny hands, pried my fingers off a chunk of banana then delicately nibbled it piece by piece while keeping the kind of eye contact that gave me goosebumps.
  5. There may not be any activity that brings one closer to the divine than surfing! I love surfing with a passion that knocked me completely out of my proverbial socks. I took the requisite lesson, bought a board, spent the first week paddling without much reward and wondered what the hell was wrong with me that I kept going out. However, the first time I dropped into the open face of a wave, popped to my feet and actually carved the shit out of the damn thing I thought that maybe, magically, I'd died and gone to heaven.
  6. Learning to speak a second language is far easier when you don't have a choice. Sink or swim, baby. Nadé como un pescado.
  7. Hermit crabs give me the creeps. Srsly.
I'm back home and into the life I left behind. I'm happier and, dare I suggest it, more complete. Time to get back to buisness and the two most pressing issues:

  1. Finding a job
  2. Keeping my distance from the married man that I managed, inexplicably, to fall in love with.
Gotta keep things interesting.

~Rosie

P.S. My next destination is Andalucía, España where I will study Flamenco and work on my [Spain] Spanish.

1 comment:

A. Marigold said...

Re #2: Ummm... oops!

Sounds like it was an amazing experience! I hope you can do it again soon!